Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lost In Fast Food Translation


(Photo uploaded by Michael Galero on Flickr.)

Communication is a skill that is essential and must be developed through practice.
Children can be vicious critics when it comes to judging one's manner of
speaking. That is why, during their adolescent period, many individuals develop
the fear of being teased for their pronunciation of certain words. This fear can
continue to be a hindrance as children reach adulthood, because adults can be
just as callous as children. Most likely, everyone has had an incident in which
he or she has regretted making a comment. Even though it may have
been embarrassing, sometimes one cannot help but reflect on what happened
and laugh. Instead of remembering an incident as humiliating, think of it as an
experience to laugh about with family and friends.


(Photo uploaded by final_station on Flickr.)


For instance, one afternoon a family was driving home from a prior engagement. Since the event lasted longer than expected, all of them were hungry during the trip home. The parents decided to stop at a fast food restaurant, so their children would not have to wait to eat dinner. In order not to divert much time from their trip, the family agreed to go through the drive-thru. The only concern was that the husband was driving. Since he was not a native speaker, he was afraid to communicate with others. He did not like being teased -- especially by his two young daughters -- about the way he would pronounce certain words in English. Therefore, his wife told him not to worry. She would order the food once they arrived at the restaurant, but the man told his wife no. He wanted to try it on his own. As they approached the Jack In The Box menu, his wife and two daughters told him what they wanted. Then it was time to face the dreaded speaker where he would utter the food orders. And yet, with a smile on his face, he confidently said each order with perfect pronunciation. His family was impressed. He was proud of himself for being able to say each item they wanted from the menu with no hesitation. The only problem was that once he was done, the next thing they heard from the speaker was: "Hello, may I take your order".


6 comments:

  1. Good joke, I might have to steal it. Is it original? Seriously; because if it is, bravo. Good photo's to illustrate the story. Maybe you could throw in a personal experience or change it and make the joke about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great joke! I wish that you would add more of your personal spin to the story. I don't know where you found the joke but it seems that maybe it could be updated a little. But great use of pictures and maybe next time try to modernize the joke?

    Thanks for letting me read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is not a joke. It is a true story. I promised the individuals involved that I would not use their names.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww I love this story! It is funny and cute. I have plenty like it. I absolutely love your use of the pictures. I felt like I was in the car with the family. I cannot wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very funny story. Is it a real experience or did you come up with it? I can relate to not wanting to pronounce words wrong. I'm blanking on the word right now, but I there is a certain food that I had been pronouncing wrong for years - and when someone corrected me a couple months ago, I was so embarrassed that I had been pronouncing it incorrectly for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with zaxmix on not wanting to pronounce words wrong. Especially if it's a word from another language that you think you got right and are using it appropriately, only to be schooled by someone like your younger sister. Not that it happened to me or anything...

    ReplyDelete