Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What Did You Say?

One day, while my grandmother was preparing breakfast, she discovered that she was out of eggs. Since my grandfather was not doing anything at the time, she asked him to go to the store. Even though my grandfather’s native language is Spanish, he knows how to say a few words in English. As he entered the store, he wanted to ask an employee for help, since he was unsure of where to look. The first person he encountered was a young female employee walking down one of the aisles. As he approached her, she politely asked, “How may I help you?” After he responded by saying, “I need eggs, ” the lady looked at him with a nervous expression. Believing that it was his thick accent that was confusing the employee, he repeated the same statement while clucking and flapping his arms. As the employee slowly backed away from my grandfather, she threatened to call the police. Fearing that he did something wrong, my grandfather decided to leave the store. What he found out later was that she had misunderstood what he said—she thought he had said, “I need legs,” instead of” I need eggs.” After that incident, he would not go to the store by himself.









2 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved your anecdote! As I was reading it, I was reminded of my own grandpa and how this so easily could have happend to him. I don't know why but the talk of groceries and your grandpa also reminded me about my parents' hometown. We can go back to the hometown and be in the same exact situation as your grandpa, and somehow forget how to say a certain word in Spanish. I also loved the digital storytelling vid. As for my oops moment, it would have to be one of the so many things that happen at our family-run taqueria. Being that all I am is the cashier, I have mixed up burritos and have to run outside to catch up with the customer to get the burrito back. Sometimes they leave with the wrong one and don't say anything...

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I have to say is, your poor Grandfather. This was such a cute story, I needed to read somthing like this. That is what I like about your blog, they are personal, and you never know who they are gonna touch. This particular one I can relate to and appreciate. It is little stories like this that really put the perfect touches on life. I recently read Vanessa's blog, it is about tactics to remain stress free. She should definitely make a link to your blog because your post put a smile on my face, I am confident it will work for others as well.

    ReplyDelete